WHAT IS A BACK TO LAY BET?
Back to Lay betting has a very simple principle:
“You want to back a horse at high odds and lay it off at lower odds and take the difference in profit”
And if it was that simple we’d all be millionaires!
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A BACK TO LAY CANDIDATE?
The question to ask is: Why is the horses price going to shorten?
THEN: Where is the evidence to back up the answer?
So you have to have an evidence based strategy to follow. Insidetraxs strategy is:
- Choose front runners, who have no competition for the lead, in all age handicap sprints
- Look at whether they have traded below their BSP in previous races
- Have they got form on the track?
- Is there any other advantage or disadvantage which might affect the horse’s running (draw, jockey, long lay off etc)?
- What feeling do I get from the betting on this horse?
When all the boxes are ticked then we have our back to lay candidate. Watch our video here.
WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME TO BACK MY BACK TO LAY CANDIDATE?
The answer to the question is there isn’t an exact time. It will depend on whether you are convinced that your candidate is a strong back to lay but doesn’t have much of a chance of winning or if you think it is a live candidate for winning as well. There are advantages and disadvantages to backing at different times but there are some principles you should follow:
- Never put your whole stake on the night before or early in the morning
- Look at different sources, the papers, at the races, racing uk, online bookies and get a feel for what they think is the right price.
- If you are going to back early the advantage is you might double your money before the off if the price shortens, or have a big negative going into the race if the price radically drifts.
- Better to wait and see what the sentiment of the market is, see what corridor your horse is trading in and look to back the horse anytime between 30 minutes and the off at the top end of the trading corridor.
Remember that we have based our whole strategy on the horse beating it’s Betfair Starting Price (BSP) so anything else you is aimed at getting better than the BSP.
Watch our video here.
ALSO if your horse drifts radically think about giving it a miss this time.
HOW MUCH CAN I MAKE?
This will be entirely dependent on your stake and your acceptance of risk.
Insidetraxs often recommends back to lays which can return between 25% – 50% on your stake. Our FREE Staking Calculator can be of great help.
The rule of thumb here is:
“When I put in my stake and the odds I have back the horse at and the profit margin I want are the LAY ODDS I will need the horse to run to reasonable based on everything I know?”
Watch our video here.
WHAT TO DO NEXT?
Find out more information form other sites.
Sign up to Insidetraxs free Newsletter and do some dummy runs – use the calculator to simulate a bet you might do and see if your horse does get backed at your required odds.